Jeera rice is a flavourful Indian cumin rice in which cooked rice is tempered with jeera or cumin. This is a very easy Indian jeera pulao recipe which can be cooked under 10 minutes.
Servings 4 People
Kadai / wok
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds whole
- 3 teaspoon cumin seeds to be used to make cumin powder
- 3 tablespoon ghee/oil
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt or as per taste
Wash basmati rice three times and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Heat 4 cups water in a deep bottom utensil and add rice, bayleaf and cloves. Let rice get cooked aldente.
Drain extra water and spread rice on a colander.
To make cumin powder:
Take a small tadka pan or a small wok and dry roast 2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Spread the cumin seeds on a flat surface and crush them using a roller pin. You can even use mortar-pestle for doing this. Keep the cumin powder aside.
Heat a big kadai/wok, add ghee or oil. After ghee (clarified butter) gets heated, add whole cumin seeds.
After cumin seeds flutter, little roasted cumin powder and finely chopped green chillies.
Let green chillies fry for 1 minute.
Immediately add cooked rice, remaining jeera powder, salt to taste and mix well.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Adding cumin powder made from roasted cumin adds more flavour to the dish.
- Ghee should be used instead of oil to make it more flavourful.
- If you have left-over rice or day-old rice, then even that can be used to make this recipe. In this case, the rice will be ready, and tempering can be done soon. This is how we can make zeera rice in less than 10 minutes.