Red Leafy Amaranth Subzi | Tambdi bhaji
Tambdi bhaji is a healthy recipe made using red leafy amaranth leaves. This is a zero oil, vegan, under 30 minute recipe in which the chopped amaranth leaves are cooked by boiling.
Servings 4 People
- 2 bunch 4 cups red leafy amaranth/tambdi bhaji
- 2 green chilies
- 4 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp jaggery
- Salt to taste
Wash and chop the red leafy amaranth.
Soak them in a small vessel full of water for 20 minutes.
Later drain the water and keep the chopped vegetable aside.
In a pan, add chopped leafy amaranth, chopped green chilies, chopped onion, 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Let this cook on medium flame for 15 minutes.
Add grated coconut, jaggery, turmeric powder and mix well.
Add salt to taste and let this get cooked for 5 minutes.
- In Bangalore, the red leafy amaranth that we get is slightly different than the one we get in Goa. The leafy amaranth looses the red color on cooking. But the Goan one retains the rich red color even after cooking.
- Preparation steps remains the same.
- You can alter the taste by adding tamarind paste or even ginger-garlic paste.
- Prawns can also be added while cooking.
- Always cut leafy vegetables and soak in water before cooking.