Goan Crab Curry / Kullyache Tonak
Delicious Goan style crab curry known as "kullyanche tonak".
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 People
- 4 crabs
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
For marinating crabs:
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For masala gravy:
- 4 dry red chilies (Kashmiri or Byadgi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1/2 medium sized onion cut length wise
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
Wash the crabs and cut into big pieces. If the legs are big, cut them into 2 pieces.
Marinate the crabs by applying ingredients mentioned in “For marinating crabs” section. Keep them in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Let us make the masala gravy ready:
Heat a kadai and add oil.
Add onion and saute.
After onion turns pinkish, add coriander seeds, cloves and dry red chillies and sauté.
Add freshly grated coconut and roast on low flame till coconut turns brownish.
Now add turmeric powder, mix and switch off the gas.
Let the roasted coconut cool down.
After the roasted coconut cools down, add it to a mixer along with ¾ cup water and make a smooth paste. Do not add too much water at this point. We can add water later while boiling crabs. Keep the ground paste aside.
Heat a kadai and add 1 tablespoon oil.
Add finely chopped onion and sauté till onion turns pinkish.
Now add marinated crabs and sauté for 5 minutes.
Next, pour the ground masala from mixer and mix well.
Add ½ cup water and mix. You can add more water if needed.
Mix well and simmer on low flame for 10-15 minutes with lid of kadai/wok covered.
Add salt to taste and mix well.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Switch off the gas and serve hot with phulkas or pav.
- While adding salt in curry, remember to add carefully as salt has been added while marinating crabs.
- While boiling crabs in curry, be careful. If you boil for too long, the crab meat will get dissolved in the curry.