Carrot kheer or carrot payasam is a delicious Indian milk pudding made with grated carrots and dry fruits. This Indian milk pudding with carrots and dry fruits is nutritious and an easy kheer recipe.
Servings 4 People
- 3 cups milk
- 10 almonds blanched, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
- ¼ teaspoon saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoon warm milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
Heat water in a pan.
Add grated carrots and cook over medium heat till they become soft and tender.
Add milk and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat till milk thickens slightly.
Add sugar and almonds and stir.
Simmer till the carrot payasam has thick pouring consistency.
Add saffron flavored milk and mix well.
Switch of the heat and let it cool.
- You can use cream to garnish this payasam. I did not use it.
- Other dry fruits like raisins, pistachios and cashewnuts can also be added.
- I did not peel the almonds as I wanted to retain the nutritional value. You can peel it before adding it to the payasam.
- You may serve it warm or chilled.