Pumpkin soup with coconut milk is a comforting homemade soup. This vegan pumpkin soup is perfect to have during the winter season. This soup made with pumpkin is super easy to make and is very healthy. Best part is that it gets ready in 30 minutes. This is a perfect pumpkin soup to make for Thanksgiving and Halloween.
I make different types of soups and this pumpkin soup recently got added to the list. The reason is during the lockdown, we got some fresh pumpkins and so I started making different recipes with pumpkin like pumpkin stir fry, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pooris.
Pumpkin soup is a very healthy recipe as it is loaded with vitamins and nutrients from pumpkins. Since pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A, it is very good for maintaining eyes. It is also rich in antioxidants and reduces the risk of chronic diseases by stopping cell damage. Since it is rich in vitamins, it helps boost immunity. Since it is nutrient dense food, it helps promote weight loss. There are many other health benefits.
Ingredients to make healthy pumpkin soup recipe:
- Pumpkin: The star ingredient in this soup recipe. Use any type of eating pumpkin. I used green pumpkin. Pumpkin soup from canned pumpkin can also be made in similar way as mentioned in the recipe below.
- Coconut milk: I used canned coconut milk to make this recipe. You can use milk or cream instead of coconut milk. You can also add yogurt.
- Onion: Use red onion to make this delicious soup.
- Garlic and ginger: Addition of garlic and ginger makes the soup tasty and delicious.
- Spices: I have used black pepper powder in this pumpkin recipe. The quantity can be altered as per taste.
Making pumpkin soup from scratch:
There are 3 easy and simple steps for making healthy soup with pumpkin and coconut milk:
- Sauté onion, garlic and ginger. Add pumpkin and water or stock and boil pumpkin till soft and tender. Add black pepper powder.
- Blend using a hand blender or cool down completely and blend using a blender or mixer.
- Add coconut milk, salt to taste and simmer. Garnish with coconut milk and pumpkin seeds.
What to do if pumpkin soup becomes very thin?
You may add little bit of whole wheat flour and thicken the soup.
How to serve pumpkin soup?
Pumpkin Soup With Coconut Milk
- 250 gm pumpkin or 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 medium sized onion julienned
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ tablespoon ginger peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- To taste salt
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add oil.
- After oil gets heated, add onion and sauté till it turns pinkish.
- Add garlic and stir. Let the aroma from garlic go away.
- Add ginger and chopped pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water or stock water and cook till pumpkin becomes soft and tender.
- Add black pepper powder and mix well.
- After pumpkin cools down completely, add it to a mixer or blender and blend till you get smooth puree. You can even use a hand blender to make pumpkin puree.
- Heat the utensil again, pour the pumpkin puree.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Add salt to taste, stir and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with coconut milk and pumpkin seeds.
- You can add milk or cream instead of coconut milk.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and coconut milk.
Pin this image on Pinterest to make it later.